Vintage Tech Repairs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD

Go down

How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD Empty How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD

Post by Corp Dwayne Hicks Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:08 am

How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD

Ever heard of those new and beautiful 80 minutes MiniDiscs ? Do you think your 74 minute MiniDiscs are too 'small' ? Now you can 'upgrade' them to 78m50s minute MDs.
Before you start, please read the disclaimer. It's at the bottom of this page !
To get 78m50s on your 74 min MDs, you only need 4 things:
1. An empty 74 min Minidisc
2. An empty 80 min Minidisc
3. A recorder capable of cloning a Minidisc TOC (If you don't know what this is, look here)
4. This "How to"

I used the following:

1. An empty 74 min Sony Premium Minidisc
2. An empty 80 min Sony Premium Minidisc
3. A Sony MDS-JB920
4. Didn't have that, I used R.M. Morrien's page for inspiration.

How do I do this ?
I own a Sony MDS-JB920, so the screenshots you see are taken from this machine. I used a Sony Mavica to take the pictures.
The way to clone a TOC might be different on you machine. The best way to find out how your machine does this (and if it is even capable) is to look at MiniDisc Community Pages!

This is the way I did it !
Step 1:

Insert the 80 min Minidisc into your recorder.

Step 2:

Unplug your recorder.

Step 3:

Press and hold the AMS knob and plug the unit back in. The recorder now enters testmode.

Step 4:

Insert the 74 min Minidisc into your recorder.

Step 5:

Unplug your recorder again.

Step 6:

Plug the unit back in. (Don't press and hold the AMS knob this time !)

Step 7:

Press Record, the display now displays -80m59s.

Step 8:

When the recorder reaches 78m50s recording time, the display displays C13/Rec Error.

You now have a 78m50s Minidisc !
To understand more about how this works, have a look at Minidisc Secrets
Notice: This will not work for all systems. I 've tested the discs on the following machines:
If you test these discs on other machines, please let me now if you succeed to let them play !

Sony MZ-R30 (Portable) Gives Disk Errors from 74m50s and up. Stops playing at 75m01s
Sony MDX-C7890R (Car) Plays until 78m43s without a problem, but can't play the last 7 seconds. Doesn't allow fast forwarding after 74m59s
Sony MDS-JB920 (Stereo) Plays the whole 78m50s without problems.
Sony MDS-S707 (Minitower MD) Doesn't play the disc at all.
Disclaimer:

I make no representations about the suitability of this procedure and the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on my homepages for any purpose. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. In no event shall I be liable or responsible for any special, direct, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance software, documents or information available from my homepages. I hereby reject any liability or responsibility for these or any other consequential damages from the use of this document whatsoever. This includes, but is not limited to, damage to your hardware, to your software (i.e. not only your recorded sounds but also your UTOC), to other hardware and other software. I also disclaim all warranties and conditions with regard to this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement.
Trademarks:
Sony, MiniDisc and MD referenced herein are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corp. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Corp Dwayne Hicks
Corp Dwayne Hicks
Admin

https://vintagetechrepairs.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD Empty Re: How to get 78m50s on a 74 mins MD

Post by Corp Dwayne Hicks Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:19 am

pictures to be added
Corp Dwayne Hicks
Corp Dwayne Hicks
Admin

https://vintagetechrepairs.forumotion.co.uk